Sunday, February 6, 2011

Lullaby

~
She would hide behind the door..
Loving the toy she would never have..

Strange longings bred in her heart..
Incubated by the laughter of the others..

A veil she uses..
To hide from the emptiness..
The skies are open..
But her kite would never fly..

She begs not for alms..
Nor does she pine for clemency..
For what she folds her hands, I know not..

Tiptoeing through the seas..
I look on..
As her back is lost..
In the blanketing mist of darkness..

Her breath shallow and eyes lost..
She lay in his doorstep..

Picking her up, I carry her away..
And close her eyes..
She whimpers in fear..
The dread of nightmares..

For a tear that wouldn't come,
In a stammering voice..
I sing a lullaby..
With all my heart..

A lullaby to put her to sleep..
A lullaby to make her dream..once again..

Sleep, my child.. sleep..

No comments: