Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Mango Tree

I stand by..
feeling the breeze of the beautiful hill...
the hovering moon..
its shine looking over us
like a guardian angel...

I stand tall,
I stand strong...
My branches speak of experience..
Of past glory...

But I am pained..

I stand at the curve...
The zigzag mountain path..
The treacherous road..
The serpent of the mountain..

I stand aside at a turn..

I can see the approaching headlights
I feel the carefree laughter..
I feel the sleepy eyes of the driver..

Aah! The screeching of brakes..
The vain-ness of it all..
It wounds my soul!!
The gushing sound of the car rushing by...
The oblivion behind me...
waiting with its mouth open..

And then there is this silence..
The deafening silence..
and I curse myself...
for i could do nothing...
I just hear myself weeping...


My heart turns to stone slowly and slowly...
So much pain I had to see..
Over the years, I could no longer hear myself weep..

And then one day,
Life changed..
When She came...
The marvelous enlightening shine..
I could feel life flow inside me once again..


her entwining whiteness around me..
warning drivers at the right moment...

She makes me feel the beauty once again..
The moon shines on us...
I can feel the cool breeze once again...

And I could again feel...
That I stand tall..
That I am there...
That I exist..

I love you my soul...

1 comment:

DivVea said...

Its a gripping, enchanting elegy for a mango tree, except that it does'nt end on a very sad note. its wonderful, how at first it laments the lifelessness around, and then once there is life in the form of sounds, laughter or engine roar, it loathes it. The tree feels this longing for something or someone it could connect with.
And, when she comes, the tree is all happy again, now who could be that "she", maybe a girl, who is just as solitary as the tree,and can appreciate the existence of the tree, or it could be a creeper, which entangles, and entwines itself around the tree, and derives support and strength from its very presence.
might i say, that element of suspence about "she" be left to one's own discreetion.